PSHCE Intent, Implementation and Impact
To develop emotionally literate children, who are well informed, respectful of others and prepared for life beyond The Reddings.
We want all children to feel valued and value one another and to be responsible, respectful, and tolerant individuals within our school and wider community, whilst keeping themselves safe and healthy.
Our PSHCE curriculum is delivered using the JIGSAW scheme of work. The scheme of work is taught in thematic units, each consisting of six lessons. The themes support social, moral, spiritual and cultural development. The scheme of work fulfils the requirements of the 2020 Statutory
Relationships and Health Education. Within each theme there is a focus per week. While the whole school follow the same focus each week, the teaching is differentiated to suit the age of the children. The focus of the week is introduced in a weekly JIGSAW assembly, This is then followed up by a JIGSAW lesson in class. There is the opportunity to challenge the children to extend this learning into their wider life. An over view of what is covered in the themes is as follows:
Autumn 1 Being Me in my world.
- Being part of the class, being part of the school, being a citizen in the wider community
- Rights and responsibilities,
- Rewards and consequences,
- Recognising feelings,
- Feeling valued
Autumn 2 Celebrating difference.
- Identifying talents
- Similarities and differences
- Making friends
- Standing up for yourself
- Understanding bullying and knowing how to deal with it
- Accepting self and others
- Cultural differences
Spring 1 Dreams and Goals
- Goal setting
- Identifying successes and achievements
- Dreams and ambitions
- Motivation and enthusiasm
- Overcoming disappointment
Spring 2 Healthy Me
- Healthy food
- Keeping clean
- Healthier lifestyle choices
- Smoking. Alcohol
- Celebrating inner strength
- Anti-social behaviour
- Emotional and mental health
- Managing stress
Summer 1 Relationships
- Family life
- Friendships, falling out, being a good friend
- People who help us
- Keeping safe online and who to go to for help
- Being a global citizen
- Being aware of how my choices affect others
- Awareness of how other children have different lives
- Loves and loss
- Building self-esteem.
- After online communities
- Identifying mental health worries and sources of support.
Summer 2 Changing me
- Respecting my body
- Growing up, growth and change
- Life cycles – animal and human
- Difference in male and female bodies- outside body changes, inside body changes.
- How babies grow, having a baby
- Puberty for girls, puberty for boys
- Self-image and body image
- Respect and consent
- Preparing for transition
The PSHCE provision provides the children with a sense of community and their role as a valued member of our school community and the wider community. We aim for the children to:
- Have the vocabulary needed to talk about their feelings,
- Understand and respect differences.
- Make good choices to keep themselves safe and healthy
- Form and maintain positive friendships in school and positive working relationship with adults